Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What we leave behind

I have been thinking today of what we leave behind when we are called away from this world. We are more than likely to leave someone else with our debt (sorry boys), our most prized possessions, a house or apartment full of stuff, money in the bank (sorry boys there is none), our cars...those are just things, things that some of us can do without. What we really leave behind is our family, friends and those who loved us.

I was at a memorial service yesterday for a family friend, he had 6 children, 14 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren (and counting)...wow! He left them with his love, his wisdom, his presences, and his faith in God. I am sure his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will not remember the things he bought them or gave them..they will remember the love he gave, the time he gave and his just being there for them.

Today, I am sadden that 5 years ago my father is law took his last breath on this earth and went home to be with his family and God. He left 4 children, 10 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren behind and left us with his love, his wisdom, his presences, and his love of his family. I can say life has not been the same since he left. But I am comforted by knowing he is still with us, though we might not see him we feel his presence.

I hope to leave all of those things behind with my children, family and friends. I hope they knew I loved them all, that I only wanted the best for them, that I would have done just about anything for them. I don't want my life to have been a waste, I want my life to have made some kind of difference in someone..

So....what will you leave behind?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States